"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful" - Eric Thomas

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Literary Fiction and Empathy

Reading fiction can help understand people better because the study talked about in the article stated that people are easier to breakdown emotional intelligence by reading literary fiction. Albert Wendland stated “Reading sensitive and lengthy explorations of people’s lives, that kind of fiction is literally putting yourself into another person’s position — lives that could be more difficult, more complex, more than what you might be used to in popular fiction. It makes sense that they will find that, yeah, that can lead to more empathy and understanding of other lives.” is very true because the more knowledge a person has on a certain situation, the better they are able to relate to the person's life. So far Hamlet has been very intriguing to me mainly because the aside by Hamlet Jr. lead me to believe the disapproval that he has for his mother marrying his uncle. It makes me think "how am I handling the death of a loved one" or "how am I going to deal with a wedding I don't approve of". If these situations arise in my life, I would try to reference Hamlet because ii may feel the same emotion as he.

No comments:

Post a Comment